The Niger State Government has secured the release of the passengers abducted by gunmen last week Sunday along the Minna-Zungeru road.
Governor Abubakar Bello made this known in a tweet on Sunday evening.
He said, “We are pleased to announce to the general public the release of the NSTA passengers abducted a week ago while returning to Minna along the Minna-Zungeru road.”
The passengers, about forty of them, were abducted on board a Niger State Transport Authority’s bus by the kidnappers who demanded ransom for the release of the victims. But Governor Bello had refused to strike a ransom deal with the abductors insisting that it would amount to empowering the bandits to acquire more weapons. He said paying ransom to kidnappers was not a policy of his administration while speaking to journalists in Minna last Wednesday, a few hours after another set of gunmen abducted forty two persons including 27 students, three members of staff and twelve members of their family and killed another student at the Government Science College, Kagara.
It was not immediately clear whether any ransom was paid to secure the release of the passengers.
The fate of those kidnapped from Kagara including the 27 students still remains unknown as at the time of this report.
The governor had promised at another press conference on Friday that efforts were on to secure the release of all the victims of abduction in the state, saying they would be out in a matter of hours or days.